A national story from NRK, the Norwegian broadcasting company can be found here.
INVITATION TO WORLD OPERA PRESENTATION WITH
TRANSCONTINENTAL OPERA DUETS
MAY 17TH at 10AM, CCRMA, STANFORD UNIVERSITY, PALO ALTO
You may not have heard about World Opera, but it started 5 years ago at an opera-workshop in Berkeley with artists from Scandinavia and California, basically with an idea of having for instance Porgy standing in Stockholm, Sweden and Bess standing in Bay Area, singing “you is my woman” together thanks to the high tech inventions in Silicon Valley, and now you can actually experience it on May 17th.
In other words, it is my pleasure on behalf of the International World Opera Association, to invite you to our special event on May 17th, 2011 at 10.00am-noon, at CCRMA, Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics, Stanford University, with the following program:
- Welcome by Niels Windfeld Lund, professor University of Tromsø, Norway, visiting scholar at CCRMA, and general manager of The World opera;
- Lecture by Mark Schubin, engineer-in charge at The Metropolitan Opera, New York, on “The History of Interactivity in Performance”
- Live demonstration of how the World Opera can work:
Karen Slack, soprano, at CCRMA and
Daniel Hällström, baritone, in Stockholm/KTH
Performing duets from Gerswin’s “Porgy and Bess” with other works
while more than 5000 miles apart!
- presentation of the World Opera concept and business plan for 2011-2016 by Niels Windfeld Lund, followed by
- Q&A with refreshments and snacks
The event will end at 12:00 noon.
Due to space limitations and catering, we would appreciate knowing if you plan to attend or not attend. Please send acceptance and regrets via email to
Niels Windfeld Lund
by, at latest, May 11th at 6pm Pacific Time
Complete directions for getting to CCRMA can be found at: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/about/directions
You can find more about the World Opera and our programs by visiting our website, www.theworldopera.org or contacting Mr. Lund directly either via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone 415-613-4857.